The administration of oils, decoctions, and medicinal herbs through the nose is known as Nasya. Nose is the route to the brain as well as consciousness. The life force, prana, enters our body through breath via the nose. Hence, healthy breathing is necessary for the proper flow of prana in the body. Nasya oil protects the nasal passage. It also relieves sinus congestion. It helps in releasing tension in the head. Nasya oil also improves the quality of voice, promote mental clarity and strengthens one’s vision.
Nasya oil balances all doshas-Vata, Pitta, and Kapha. It is particularly good for Vata dosha.
You should follow simple procedure for self-administration of Nasya:
- Lie down on your back and tilt your head back with your nostrils opening towards the sky. If you prefer to lie down on a bed, you may hang head off the edge of it. You can also place a pillow beneath your neck to support it.
- Now place 5 to 10 drops of Nasya oil in each nostril. Carefully place oil drop by drop, thoroughly coating the nasal membrane.
- Now rest for few minutes by taking a big sniff, so that Nasya penetrates properly.
If lying down is not comfortable, you can follow another method that is called Marshya Nasya or pratimarshya.
- First of all take a drop of oil on your little finger and insert it into the nostril.
- Now gently massage the inner walls of the nasal passage.
- Repeat this procedure altering right and left nostril until each nostril receives three application of oil.
This procedure helps in releasing any stress or tension present in the tissue.
One should not do Nasya in the case of pregnancy, menstruation, immediately before or after eating, acute fever or intoxification.
By doing this procedure daily, you can heal many ailments. The time required for this is very less too.
Most Searching Terms:
- How to do Nasya Oil/ sinus infection
- Nasya Health Benefits, Side Effects
- How To Make Your Own Nasya