Apply Online for EHIC Card and Check Eligibility for European Health Insurance Card
European Health Insurance Card, EHIC lets you access to healthcare services in other European Economic Area, EEA countries and in Switzerland at reduced rate or may be for free, in some cases, during a temporary stay. Let’s check eligibility and application form for EHIC card. The Treatment provided is for medical necessity till you returns home as planned and it is same as to the resident of that country. The EHIC provides coverage to pre-existing medical conditions and maternity care. You will need to make co-payment as per the rule of the country.
The EHIC is not travel insurance alternative. It doesn’t provide coverage to private medical healthcare or you are on expedition, in a cruise or on adventure and are in need of medical attention. You are also not covered for lost or stolen property while flying back to UK.
It is recommended that you have private travel insurance if you have a travel plan. Now we check eligibility for European Health Insurance Card and how to apply Online for EHIC Card.
Eligibility for EHIC Card
EHIC is a residency based healthcare system for UK. You become eligible for it if,
- You are resident of UK and not insured by any other EEA country. Every family member needs EHIC. A child below age of 16 can’t apply on his own, a parent or guardian need to apply. If a child is in a boarding school, teaching staff over there can apply for the child.
- If you are not an EEA or Swiss national, you need to provide your visa or permanent resident proof and fill out a separate application form.
- If you live in Switzerland or an EEA country other than UK, you are eligible to apply for it if you receive a UK pension, you or your family is posted there for work by your UK employer, or you are there for study.
Apply for EHIC Online
You can apply for or renew EHIC online. The application process is easy and quick. There is no fee to be paid for the application. In order to apply, you have to login to your online account with your username and password. To have your login credentials, you have to register an account providing your name and email address. You will also create your password and confirm it while registering.
- Go to www.ehic.org.uk
- Login to your account.
- Apply for EHIC by providing necessary information as instructed and complete the process.
To find more about the treatment offered in different countries, you can refer to http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/countryguide/Pages/EEAcountries.aspx. You can download EHIC app on your Smartphone and access your EHIC information while abroad.
More Related Queries:
- Eligibility and Application Form for EHIC
- Renew European Health Insurance Card
- Apply Online for EHIC Card